Wednesday, April 21, 2010

VIVA ITALIA!!!

Can I just say something? Italian food is the best food in the world. HANDS DOWN. I spent 10 days in Italy and had the amazing opportunity to enjoy a real homemade Italian meal. There are a couple of things you have to understand about Italian eating.Pretty much, Italians have several courses in ONE sitting.
 

Check out this casa, so gorgeous... I want to live here!

1. Ok, you start with the pasta, in this case Lasagna. By the way, this was the best lasagna I've ever had! The sauce wasn't too tart, and there was just the right amount of meat and cheese. Oh and the pasta was cooked perfectly, so fresh, so good.

2. The family set up a grand dining table of food to feast on AFTER the meal:
So, as you can see from the above pictures there was an assortment of great great food. Mozzarella, foccacia, salad, beans (like special Italian beans) which you eat with parmegiano reggiano, spicy prosciutto, non spicy proscuitto ( which the family made themselves, somehow?), there was also sun dried tomatoes (homemade), and this other sort of bread... which you eat the cheese and the prosciutto with. I need to adopt this family and have them introduce this to the US because it was delectable. Molto buono!

3. Dessert

...the name of the cake slips my mind at the moment, but again it was a nice way to finish off a hefty meal. The cake was almost like a pie- in the sense that it was dense but light at the same time, had an egg custard taste to it and wasn't too sweet.

4. Espresso!!

Its small, but strong...so, beware! Brewed to perfection (in a french press, on a stove), end the meal in the most relaxing way possible. This is the life!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! All that food looks so good! I have always wanted to go to Italy - what a great experience for you!

    Also, I wanted to respond to your question about the rainbow cake - if you don't have a scale, I would just divide the batter using cups. I think, like, 1 1/4 c of batter for each color will work :)

    ReplyDelete